Vespers - Louise Glück (from Wild Iris)

You thought we didn't know. But we knew once,
children know these things. Don't turn away now—
          we inhabited
a lie to appease you. I remember
sunlight of early spring, embankments
netted with dark vinca. I remember
lying in a field, touching my brother's body.
Don't turn away now; we denied
memory to console you. We mimicked you, reciting
the terms of our punishment. I remember
some of it, not all of it: deceit
begins as forgetting. I remember small things, flowers
growing under the hawthorn tree, bells
of the wild scilla. Not all, but enough
to know you exist: who else had reason to create
mistrust between a brother and sister but the one
who profited, to whom we turned in solitude? Who else
would so envy the bond we had then
as to tell us it was not earth
but heaven we were losing?


[From:
Glück, L. (1992) The Wild Iris. Hopewell, NJ: Ecco Press, p44]



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Martha - Audre Lorde

To My Daughter The Junkie On A Train - Audre Lorde